Freddy Garcia to the Braves

Can_of_corn

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Freddy Garcia gets $1.25M base with <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23braves&src=hash">#braves</a>. Big incentives for starts, lesser incentives for relief <a href="https://twitter.com/jcrasnick">@jcrasnick</a> had signing</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">January 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I can’t emphasize enough how stupid that rain delay was.  No rain at all for 45 minutes, then two hours of light mist, the kind that teams play through all the time.  I was standing near the kids play area during most of the delay and believe me, that rain didn’t deter any kids from using the playground equipment for two hours. Then, 15 minutes before the game is going to start, the grounds crew is watering the infield.  What? The game itself was not worth the wait, needless to say.   But what annoys me most is the complete lack of communication during these delays.  How about letting the fans who are there know what the thinking is about how long the delay will be?  How about an update every 30 minutes or so.   Nope, nothing.   Just a generic message on the scoreboard saying that the start of the game will be delayed to to the “threat” of inclement weather.   My phone was showing .05” of rain expected in the next six hours.  Some threat! On the bright side, the team did announce that ticket holders would be given vouchers that could be used for a Monday - Thursday game.  That was the least they could do.       
    • 19,286 for that rain-delayed mess of a game.  I’d say about 2/3 of those stuck through the 3 hour delay and were in their seats at game time.  
    • And paid Scherzer, and Zimmerman, and Corbin, and Werth.   They didn’t all work out, but nobody could say the Nats didn’t spend to put a winning team on the field during their run.  The run basically ended because Stras II and Corbin blew up in their face.   But there’s always 2019.   
    • I can’t believe that 8 hours after Grayson stepped off the mound, I’m the first person to update his thread.   After a 19-day IL stint and without a rehab stint, Grayson threw 6 innings of one-hit shutout ball last night.  The one hit was an infield squibber hit 59.5 mph off the bat.  His command was a tad shaky at times, as he walked three and hit a batter, but he still breezed through 6 innings on 82 pitches, 50 for strikes.  If it hadn’t been his first outing in three weeks, he certainly could have pitched the 7th inning.  Unfortunately, the bullpen blew it for him. Fastball topped out at 98.4 and he was still hitting 97 in his final inning.  
    • I think half of Fangraphs’ staff over the years came from Lookout Landing.   I rarely read other teams’ sites, but I agree Pinstripe Alley is one of the best Yankee sites.     
    • For one thing, they don’t have Bautista shutting things down in the 9th inning or extra innings.   Second, 30-16 just doesn’t happen every year.  I’m actually pretty encouraged that the O’s have played .650 baseball without winning a disproportionate number of close games.    
    • Four more shutout innings for Chace last night, 2 hits, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts.   His ERA is 0.91, WHiP 1.21, K/9 12.7.   The only blemish is his 5.2 BB/9.   He’s pitched 8 games and has only allowed runs in two of them.   Yesterday he threw 45 of 68 pitches for strikes.  For some reason the O’s kind of have him under wraps, as he’s only been allowed to exceed 70 pitches twice, back in April.  He’s also been kept to four inning outings.  They’re clearly being very careful with the 20-year old (turns 21 in three weeks).  In fairness, they did need to shut him down for a month late last summer, so I’m guessing it’s more season load management than game-by-game decisions.   In any event, it’s been a promising campaign for Chace.    
  • Popular Contributors